Moving your small business online
Posted by Kirsty on 23rd Apr 2020
Coronavirus is creating new challenges to the survival of small businesses, with the world on lockdown and millions of people going online to source goods, moving your business online might be the best way to keep your business alive.
You might have thought that the lockdown would have seen the decline of purchases of affordable luxuries, such as gourmet chocolate or candles, but sales have seen an increase as people seek 'comfort' purchases to treat themselves or loved ones during a time of uncertainty.
In the run-up to Easter, Cadbury and Thorntons struggled with demand for Easter eggs, with consumers joining a virtual queue on their websites to purchase goods. Last week, DPD announced that they had experienced record volumes for this time of year, in fact, of the 29 million households in the UK, they delivered to over 1 million of them last Wednesday alone. Online sales show no sign of slowing down so why get in with the action and move your business online.
With the lockdown set to continue for another 3 weeks, people sending presents for birthdays, anniversaries or just because, are currently having to move online to order goods directly for delivery to the recipient. They are on the lookout for something special and unique to cheer a loved one or themselves up. Your business could be perfectly placed to offer that 'something special'
A lot of people are looking to shop local where possible in order to help small businesses, this is where you could find the most sales if you are effectively marketing to your local area. Depending on how you are set up, you could observe social distancing by offering a contact-free local delivery service for your goods or alternately, offer specially gift wrapped products sent safely via courier. These little touches set you aside from the larger companies unable to offer a personal service.
How can Meridian help?
We are perfectly placed to offer you all the products you need to get your business online:
- Our packaging range is available in small order qty's so you can be confident that you will not end up with huge amounts of stock
- If you are working from premises with limited storage facilities, many of our products come flat packed for ease of storage
- All our deliveries now are contact-free, so you can confidently receive your parcels without any direct contact with the carrier
- From double wall and single wall cardboard postal boxes to Royal Mail size small parcels. You will find quality boxes for your business needs in our postal range. Our specialist postal outer sizes have been designed to correspond with our range of boxes and lids and more specialist products such as our self fill advent calendars
- To go with our postal boxes we also supply tape guns, packing tape and document enclosed wallets
- We have PPE (personal protective equipment) available to help you limit direct contact with your products- from nitrile gloves to protective hair nets
- Our range of swing tags and ribbons are the ideal way to personalise a gift with a thoughtful message from the sender
Once you find a way to deliver your services online, that revenue stream could continue to be a valuable part of your business even after life returns to “normal” and you’re able to resume your business 'in person'.
There are lots of Government resources for businesses, please always make sure to follow the latest Government guidelines and advice for businesses during the coronavirus https://www.gov.uk/guidance/social-distancing-in-the-workplace-during-coronavirus-covid-19-sector-guidance
We wish all our customers the very best in this difficult time & Stay safe!