Here at Meridian, we understand that we have a vital ecological responsibility as packaging manufacturers, with consumers seeking to reduce their environmental impact. We are striving to go beyond our obligated environmental compliance.
Over 82% of our business is based on converting carton board. We knew we could not afford to be apathetic and wanted to ensure that our sourced raw materials were from organisations that manage their forests in socially, environmentally and economically responsible ways.
After months of research to find the perfect environmental partner, followed by a period of intensive prep and planning, we are now proud to announce that we've been awarded our FSC® Chain of Custody (CoC) Certification. This is a distinction which recognizes our commitment to environmentally and sustainably manufacture our packaging.
The FSC® Chain of Custody tracks the timber from ethical sources, through every stage in the supply chain, to the final user. This is monitored through the invoicing process and the labelling code found on the packaging which confirms that the item is FSC® certified. At Meridian, we follow this chain of custody rigorously. Thanks to our FSC® certification, we can offer our customers sustainable bespoke packaging solutions.
We have 25 years of print and packaging knowledge behind us, so we are well placed to advise on low migration inks and print finishes that allow your packaging to continue its ethical journey to a recyclable and biodegradable end.
We’re proud to have achieved our FSC® certification and by choosing Meridian as your packaging supplier means you can help future generations through responsible forestry.
What is FSC®?
- The Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) is a non-governmental, non-profit, independent international organisation. It was established to oversee the sustainable harvesting of timber and responsible management of subsequent paper goods.
- FSC® monitors and helps take care of forestries alongside the people and wildlife who call it home. They believe in ‘Forests For All Forever’. The FSC® system helps businesses and consumers choose products from well-managed forests and/or verified and recycled sources.
- FSC® Chain of Custody (CoC) certification ensures that all approved materials and products have been checked at every stage of processing, assuring customers purchasing these products can be confident that they are FSC® certified.
- The FSC® Chain of Custody ensures that at every stage, social and environmental standards are met. One FSC® Certified business goes on to supply the next, creating a network of verified suppliers.
More than half of paper used globally is for packaging carton board and container board.
Those working in this industry must act now to protect our planet. Obtaining our FSC® Certification was a way to demonstrate our commitment to environmental responsibility and meeting the demands of our consumers. Sustainability is a major concern for manufacturers and consumers alike. Sustainable packaging has become an essential part of any brand’s ethical mission.
When ordering from Meridian, you can rest easy knowing your packaging is coming from an FSC® certified source which has been monitored through their rigorous chain of custody. Not only is FSC® board ethical but sustainable forestry is one of the most effective means to mitigate climate change.
What does FSC® mean to consumers?
There is a growing consumer demand for ethically sourced sustainable packaging. A global corporate responsibility survey found that 66% of consumers avoided a product or brand for environmental reasons.
With this in mind, in a marketplace saturated with choice, why not enforce this environmental credential with regards to your packaging. With 88% of UK shoppers have said they want on-pack information regarding packaging sustainability, and over half of consumers aware of the FSC® logo, this is a good place to begin. Having the recognisable FSC® logo on your packaging has become a simple way of demonstrating your brands corporate social responsibility. It represents a contract between the buyer and the manufacturer, acknowledging that the product has made as little environmental impact as possible.
If you are committed to working with an FSC® Certified manufacturer, we would be delighted to help. FSC® is available upon request for all your design projects. Let us bring your packaging ideas to life whilst preserving the environment and allowing you to promote your own environmental message. Take a look at our FSC® Certificate (FSC®-C148074) if you need it for your records.
FSC®… Easy as 1, 2, 3
1. Contact our sales team if you require FSC® mixed credit board for your next project, we will advise on the most suitable board. Remember that this needs to be done from the outset to ensure the chain of custody is followed throughout.
2. Send over your artwork and we will add our relevant FSC® certified logo with identifier license code. We do the hard work as we get approval from FSC® on your behalf, you don’t need to do a thing!
3. Once the project is complete, we will send you an invoice with the FSC® claim and our certificate code which completes the chain. This is your assurance that you have purchased FSC® Certified packaging.
 Environmental paper network, 2018
 Nielsen Global Corporate Sustainability Report
 FSC® UK Consumer survey 2018- TNS